Professional Technical Writing is a 3-month online writing course that can help to launch your new career in technical writing. If you are already a working technical writer, you can also benefit from this course by updating your writing skills and by acquiring experience in an important skill for technical writers: XML. By learning XML, you’ll gain valuable experience in structured authoring. You’ll learn two skills for the price of one!
In this course, you’ll learn how to use a systematic process for writing technical documents. You’ll learn how to write and revise instructions, technical reports, and software manuals (key technical writing documents). You’ll also get the chance to practice your technical writing skills by completing five hands-on assignments.
- In assignment one, you’ll write a letter. The first assignment focuses on developing skills in identifying the purpose of your writing and understanding the audience.
- In assignment two, you’ll write instructions for performing a task. This assignment focuses on helping you to write clear and concise instructions.
- In assignments three and four, you’ll create a software manual, conduct a usability test, and revise your manual based on the test results. In these two projects, we try to simulate a typical development environment by having you work in project teams. (Students can also choose to work alone.)
- In the last assignment, you’ll write a formal technical report.
You’ll develop your technical writing skills by receiving detailed feedback on the assignments from the instructor. The course takes you through the entire technical writing process, step-by-step!
BONUS: Free XML Fundamentals course
Students in the Professional Technical Writing course receive free access to our XML Fundamentals course. XML is a key skill for technical writers, and technical writers who understand XML are in demand. According to Payscale.com, technical writers who have XML skills on average earn 14% more than other technical writers without XML skills.
The objectives of the XML Fundamentals course are to give you the basic knowledge and skills needed to author content in XML and to help you develop skills in structured authoring. You’ll complete this course in the first two weeks so that you are ready to work on your assignments and gain valuable experience in writing in a structured writing environment.
- Working knowledge of English
- Windows 7 or later. Note: Students with a Mac can also participate in this course. Please contact us for details.
About the Instructor
The instructor will guide you throughout the course by providing one-to-one mentoring. During the course, the instructor will answer your questions by email, provide you with feedback on your assignments, and lead optional text chat sessions to discuss the materials and assignments.
Kitty Bucsko has been teaching business communications and computer technology courses for over 30 years including courses for the Canadian Institute of Management. She has been a member of the Ontario College of Teachers since its inception and has a passion for the Internet and telecommunications technology. She is also an active member of the Society for Technical Communication.